Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Happy Halloween

Last year we didn't celebrate Halloween.  We had just gotten possession of our house and Dave, Kendall and I were in town frantically painting Cole's room before the moving truck arrived with our furniture and Grandma arrived with Cole.


My Assistant
Once again, Halloween wasn't a big event at our house this year.  Kendall is still too young to really eat candy and Cole WON'T eat candy ... so Trick or Treating is sort of a lot of work for the payoff.  There were no parties to go to this year and with no family to visit, I didn't go to the trouble of buying costumes for the kids.  I did dress them up to see the other kids come to the door.  Cole wore some of his dress up clothes and Kendall got to wear Cole's costume from 2 years ago.  However, we probably only had a dozen kids, and my kids managed to rip off their costumes within 10 minutes of putting them on.

Something we did do this year was carve pumpkins.  Cole was actually interested in doing this, this year.  They had carved a pumpkin in class at nursery school which probably helped peak his interest.  First off Cole wanted to use the knife which was a definite No No.  He was rather persistent.  I told him he could help me scoop the seeds and the insides out, but after getting the smallest amount of goop on his hands he was instantly turned off by that idea and was frantically trying to clean his hand.  He watched me for a while and then once again appealed for the knife.  When he finally felt I wouldn't relent, he gave up asking.  I then watched him pull a chair over to the kitchen cutlery drawer, open it and then stare at it for awhile before abandoning his post.  I realized after, that he probably figured that since I wouldn't give him one of the knives on the table, that he would go get his own.  However, the reason he just sat there staring at the drawer was that all the knives were dirty and in the dishwasher.  There were no knives.  It was good to see him take some initiative though and do some follow through problem solving.  This is huge for a kid who has trouble with sequencing and cause and effect.  Even if that thought process involved knives!

Sock Monkeys
Construction Worker Cole




So with the end of Halloween, you know what that means .....



 IT'S ALMOST CHRISTMAS!! :)


The Finished Product



1 comment:

frajan said...

Tried pumpkin carving with Grant but same reaction to the slime inside. He wanted nothing to do with that! And of course knives are popular...so basically I did it all again this year. But he did enjoy looking at the candle inside :-)