Friday, March 02, 2007

Mystery of The Itchy Red Bumps

If you read this blog regularly, you're probably wondering where I've been. Well that somewhere has been home (without Internet access).

At the beginning of this week I began to acquire a few red bumps. At first I just dismissed them as one of my regular breakouts. However, the next day they became itchy and suddenly I acquired about 8 more. I took precautions and stayed at home.

I've ruled out chicken pox since I had them in grade 6 (thanks Mark), and the measles because I've been vaccinated for those as well (twice), plus I didn't have any of the other usual symptoms. In fact I feel fine other than the itching. The only thing I can liken them to is miniature mosquito bites. So for now I've stripped my bedding, vacuumed my mattress and furniture, and washed every piece of fabric in my house.

I did go see a doctor at the walk-in clinic, but he just looked at them and without asking any further questions gave me hydrocortizone and told me to come back in a week if they weren't gone.

So what's my best guess (with the aid of the internet)? I think they're flea bites. We don't have any animals but I was around a few dogs and a cat this weekend, along with dozen preschoolers who probably have animals. The little critters could have hitched a ride on my clothes.

So for now I'll keep on applying the calamine lotion and hoping everything clears up. Anyone else out there ever had fleas?

1 comment:

the Haazens :) said...

Oh my goodness, I've never heard of such a thing! I hope those mysterious bumps disappear as fast as they came!

Then again I did have a weird skin thing happen to me when I was prego with Big G...maybe that's the cause?? Ha, just jokes=)