Tuesday, May 08, 2012

BIRTHDAYS!

So it's been a long while since my last post.  I seem to post in waves.  Sometimes I feel like posting, and sometimes I don't.  It's been a dry spell lately.  I've been keeping myself busy though.  Apparently I planned and threw 4 birthday parties in the last month and-a-half.  Here's a recap:

Birthday #1  Cole's 4th Birthday




The Theme was Disney/Pixar's Cars 2.  Cole has a great memory for detail and could recount every decoration from last year.  However, he seems to have missed one major item of importance.  He INSISTS he is TWO.  I guess he doesn't remember the first two birthday parties we threw him, despite showing him the pictures and counting the birthdays.  Now that his sister just turned two, he'll tell you they are the same age.  Most days it seems true, so maybe he knows something we don't. 

 Back on topic ...


Cole once again loved his cake, but didn't want to eat any.  It was delicious though.  The racetrack cake was easy to make.  We made sure to use character cars from the movie.  A couple of our own and a few new friends for the birthday boy.Other presents included a few new books for Cole's Leapfrog Tag and a couple of Innotab games, so he was pretty much entrance for the rest of the day and totally happy.  Cole will start Jr. Kindergarten in the fall, which is almost too hard for me to wrap my head around until I look at him, and see he's now more boy than baby.

Birthday #2 Dave's Birthday


If you know my hubby, then you probably know he doesn't like cake.  Last year I made him a cheesecake (very different) and this year I made him my cherry pie (a favourite).  Dave doesn't like a big fuss for his birthday but since the kids think that decorations = birthday in this house I made a few of my own using a pad of construction paper.  The kids were enthralled by the Muppets colour blocking and it now resides in our family room.



Dave and I loved the Muppets growing up, so as soon as it came out on Blu-ray we bought it and let the kids watch too.  Over a month later it continues to be a favourite and the kids request it at least once a day (which of course I don't indulge them in).  The both have the soundtrack memorized and quote lines from 80's Robot.  Hearing your 1 year old say lines like "Gnarly to the max", and, "gag me with a spoon" is incredibly cute.

 

Birthday #3 Swingsley's Birthday



The Birthday monkey (right) and his Uncle (left)

Party guests arrive


Helping Swingsley blow out his candle

Swingsley's gift from Mommy and Daddy ... a new friend!

One morning Cole informed us that it was Swingsley's birthday and that he was going to have a party with decorations, party hats and a cake and that Swingsley's uncle and monkey friends were going to come.  It was short notice but I had an extra box of cake mix in the pantry.  A few hours later I learned that Swingsley's birthday was the next day ... so now I had a little more time.  The result was a Curious George party.

A banana shaped cake with monkey cupcakes and decorations thanks to PBS kids.org and my printer.  Swingsley got one present from Mommy and Daddy, a new friend.  The picture of Cole's, I mean Swingsley's, excitement is priceless!

Birthday #4  Kendall's 2nd Birthday


After throwing so many parties already, Kendall's birthday kind of got put together last minute.  I was getting pretty birthday-ed out and the thought of adding more cake to my waist line didn't really inspire me.  I didn't decide on a theme or decorations until less than a week before the party. 

Finally I decided on a Sesame Street theme.  "Elmo" was Kendall's first word after all.  Cole's second birthday was an Elmo theme so I had to think of  something fresh.  Thanks to my Pinterest addiction, I found some Sesame character themed poof decorations on Etsy.  I thought "I could make those" and was sold.  I also saw some pins for rainbow cake which seemed yummy and could tie into Sesame's bright colours.  So I ordered some decorations and committed.


The poofs turned out great.  But the cake ... I had to improvise on my toes.  One of my coloured layers stuck to the cooling rack and completely fell apart, turning my 4 layer cake into a 3 layer cake.  Oh, and other than knowing I wanted a rainbow cake with white icing, I had nothing else.  I had no idea how to decorate it.  So an hour before the stores closed, I drew up a couple of quick sketches, and then hit Bulk Barn for some inspiration.  I came home with a tube of black icing and some Mike and Ikes, and got to work.  It turned out terrific, if you over look the fact that there was so much red food colouring you had to scrape off the top of each served piece because Elmo's face tasted horrible.  (Note to self:  next time splurge and buy the tasteless red food colouring.)




Needless to say, after having been a guest a the previous 3 birthday parties, Kendall was giddy with anticipation.  Her hands were literally shaking with excitement while she ate breakfast in the midst of the decorations.


I can't believe my baby is now 2 years old!  In comparison to Cole and his challenges, she's grown up so quickly and almost too easily.  She's my last baby and I am thankful that she has let me savour her every moment.


So no more birthdays until next year.  Mine is in December, and I refuse to throw my own party.  But who knows?  There's a lot of favourite stuffed animals in this house that could possible have birthdays coming up.  However, a little more notice for Mommy would be appreciated.

No comments: